The brand was founded by José F. Rocha around 1901 or 1902, though the brand was not registered in Havana (Cuba) until 1921, under the ownership of Rocha’s firm, J.F. Rocha y Cia. During this time, the Bolívar brand produced the world’s smallest cigar called the Delgado. Measuring a mere 17⁄8 inches with a 20 ring gauge, the Delgado had the honour of having a miniature box of its cigars featured in the royal nursery’s dollhouse at Windsor Castle. The company and rights to the brand name were purchased in 1954 by Cifuentes y Cia after Rocha’s death and production was moved to the famous Partágas Factory in Havana (today known as the Francisco Pérez Germán factory), where many of its sizes are still produced today. During this time, under Cifuentes’ direction, Bolívar gained popularity in the world market and became a major export brand.