Today marks one of the most important events in our calendar: International Whisk(e)y Day. To celebrate this occasion, we have put together some fun facts to share with you about the beloved drink. The parenthesis in the day’s name is used to include both Scotch and American whiskies in the celebrations, although as we’re based in the UK, it feels only right to focus on the Scotch. Maybe you can use one of these facts to impress your guests with your whisky knowledge the next time you host a get-together!
1) The official date on which Scotch was created is 1494. At this time, John Cor purchased 500kg of malt for the purpose of producing “aqua vitae”.
2) Two percent of whisky matured in barrels evaporates each year. This is commonly known as the ‘angels’ share’.
3) While Scotland is renowned for it’s Scotch, the biggest producer and consumer of whisky is actually India.
4) Over 99 million cases of Scotch whisky are exported each year.
5) If each of these cases were lined up, then they would spread the distance between Edinburgh and New York, not once, but six times!
6) The word for whisky in Gaelic is ‘uisge beathe’, meaning ‘water of life’.
7) Scotch can only be referred to as Scotch if it has been aged in a cask in Scotland for a minimum of three years.
8) The Scottish government earn a lot of money from Scotch. Around £125 is gained through whisky export taxes every second!
9) The export of Scotch whisky accounted for more than 20 percent of the total food and drink exports in the whole of the UK in 2017.
10) There are over 20 million casks of whisky maturing in Scotland. That accounts for around four casks per person living in the country!
11) Whisky was first taxed in Scotland in 1644.
12) Last year, in 2017, a new record was set for the most expensive case of whisky to be sold at auction. The 30-year-old Macallan was bought for an incredible £375,000!
13) An average whisky measure contains only 64 calories – fewer than an apple!
14) The Diego Claive Vidiz Whisky Collection is the largest known collection of Scotch whisky, and it contains a whopping 3,384 bottles.
Have we missed any fun facts about whisky? Let us know in the comments below or via our social media channels! If you fancy a dram to commemorate the occasion, then why not enjoy it alongside a quality Davidoff Cigar from Havana House!?